Cyclohexylamine, CAS 108-91-8

Cyclohexylamine is an organic compound that belongs to the class of aliphatic amines. It is also called hexahydrobenzenamine, hexahydroaniline, aminohexahydrobenzene, and aminocyclohexane. The IUPAC name if the substance is cyclohexanamine. Cyclohexylamine CAS number is 108-91-8, its chemical formula is C6H13N.


The substance is a colorless liquid, sometimes tinted yellow due to contaminants and has a strong pungent fishy odor. Cyclohexylamine also possesses the following properties:

  • Density: 0.8647 g/cm3;
  • Molar mass: 99.17;
  • Melting point: −17.7 °C;
  • Boiling point: 134.5 °C.

The chemical is miscible in water, and common organic solvents, like alcohol, esters, ketones, acetones, ethers, etc. It is very soluble in oil and ethanol. The substance is less dense than water; its vapors are heavier than air.

Cyclohexylamine is of mildly alkaline nature, same as other amines. Compared to NaOH and the like, this organic is a weak base, but it is stronger than its aromatic analog aniline.

Buy cyclohexylamine for your research needs online at our website Check our catalog to find a vast variety of high quality labware and consumables at compatible prices.

Preparation and Application

The chemical can be prepared in two ways:

  • by hydrogenation of aniline with the use of nickel or cobalt catalysts;
  • by alkylation of ammonia using cyclohexanol.

The substance is often applied as an intermediate in synthesis of the organic compounds. It serves as a building block for many pharmaceuticals. Besides, cyclohexylamine uses include its application as a precursor to sulfenamide-based reagents used in turn as accelerators to vulcanization.

The chemical may serve as the raw materials of making perfumes, emulsifiers, dyes, sweeteners, and pesticides. It is also a great corrosion inhibitor and anti-scaling agent. From this compound are derives the broad-spectrum herbicide hexazinone and the anesthetic hexylcaine.

Storage and Safety

Cyclohexylamine should be stored in a tightly closed container away from open flames, sparks, heat, or hot surfaces, since it is very flammable, with flash point 28.6 °C. It is incompatible with strong acids, strong oxidizing agents, copper (including its alloys and salts), leather, and rubber.

Both ingestion and inhalation of the chemical is toxic and may be fatal. It readily absorbs through the skin and can cause severe burns to human tissues. That is why it is strictly prohibited to handle this organic without a proper personal protective equipment.